Sunday, September 21, 2008

La Mi Nonna Sansone Minestra Di Pollo

My grandmother passed away many years before I was born. Every Christmas we have an Italian Feast in honor of my dad and his family who are no longer with us. One Christmas, I asked my uncle to recall some of her best recipes. I had to improvise a bit, but I'm happy to report it turned out benissimo! It has become a staple of our Italian Christmas Feast.


Because a dear friend was feeling under the weather this weekend I thought some good Chicken Soup was in order,
along with some cheery flowers...

and a good detox bath.....
I hope she feels better soon. I hope you'll enjoy our family soup....

My Grandmother Sansone’s Chicken Soup
Appetizer (First Course)
As remembered By Joe Sansone December 16, 2006

Chicken boullion
Chicken stock
Carrots, sliced
Onion, sliced
Celery, chopped
Soup greens
Salt & Pepper
Other soup spices

Add bouillion, chicken stock, carrots, sliced onion, chopped celery, and other soup greens and spices

Boiled chicken breast was shredded into the stock pot after it was cooked separately.

that all cooked together to a slow simmering (I don't know how long) low boil.

then she added cooked pastina, (cooked separately), into the soup so that it became quite thick.

Just before serving, she would beat an egg or two and very slowly, with a fork, drip the eggs into the pot, a few drips at a time which poached in fine little egg drops .

After serving, add grated Pecorino Romano or Locatelli Romano Italian cheese to taste.

Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment