Monday, August 24, 2009

This is it...


I knew this day would come, they day when one of our children leaves the nest. We are sending our middle son to bootcamp at Parris Island. They promise to make and my son aspires to become one of "the highest quality basically trained U.S. Marine." Their stated mission is: "We make Marines who are committed to our core values in service to the country." This is a noble and worthy cause. I also pray that my son will feel the presence of the Lord with him and commit himself to following his King of kings.

The Lord was so gracious and we've had a wonderful, week-long family good-bye at the beach. It has been emotional to say they least. Sometimes all I can do is sit, think and remember. How can you talk when your heart is in your throat?

I started a notebook and asked our family and friends to write a note of encouragement or of a memory they share with Brandon. I'll start mailing those today. Hopefully, he will receive a letter each day of the 12 week training.

Here's what my son will experience according to the Marine Corp Recruit Depot website.

Week 1
Marine Corps Recruit Receiving & Orientation

Marine recruits start the receiving process when they arrive at Parris Island via bus or van between the hours of 8 pm Monday night and 2 am early Tuesday morning. Recruits will continue to arrive at those times until early morning on Thursday. Upon arrival, male and female recruits are separated, all recruits are given one last opportunity to turn-in any unauthorized material or items, and male recruits are ushered to the barber for their first Marine Corps haircut.All new Marine recruits make a phone call home and repeat the following words:



  • I have arrived safely at Parris Island.

  • Please do not send any food or bulky items.

  • I will contact you in 3 to 5 days via postcard with my new mailing address.

  • Thank you for your support.

  • Goodbye for now. (that's all I get??)


The recruits are then issued uniforms and basic gear, and turn in all personal effects. Don't bring anything except your important papers (such as driver's license, social security card, and banking information). Everything you need will be issued to you. Recruits receive both medical and dental exams throughout the week. Over-the-counter medication is not allowed in recruit training. All prescription medication will be re-evaluated by a military doctor upon arrival. If the doctor determines that the prescription is necessary, the civilian medication will be taken away, and the recruit will be re-issued the medication by the military pharmacy.


Please pray for my son as you feel led. Your prayers are deeply appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. I really cannot believe the phone script. Wow. I would hate hearing (only!) that from my son!
    Lots of prayers going up for your family this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He did call at 6:53pm last night and repeated those words verbatim. I tried to sneak in I Love You, but I don't think he heard me. I'm glad I knew the script, otherwise I may not have understood what he was saying because it was so fast. Many thanks for all your prayers!!! Just 89 more days now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duh! He's there!!! Exciting!!!

    My parents kept my first letter from me a week after I arrived at the Naval Academy. We had no time for ourselves, and they forced us to write letters. I basically used big letters and lots of filler to take up space and said nothing more than flunking our first room inspection. Every flunked the first one!

    ReplyDelete