Sunday, September 6, 2009

Government's Goal of Education

I think it all boils down to your philosophy of what education truly is. That's why over the last several days, I hear Charlotte Mason's words ringing so clearly. She strived her entire career to define that question. What is Education? The fruit of her quest is what CMers continue to study and apply: "Education is an Atmosphere, a Discipline, a Life." Her grounding belief that all children are born persons and are deserving of a rich education rings so true today. Just read her Educational Manifesto.

The government and public educators will tell you that happiness comes from getting a good education so you can get a good job and really "go somewhere" in your life. Most parents buy into to these goals of education. One of the true goals of American public education has always been to produce human resources for our workforce so America can compete in a global economy. It's all about money. Get a good education, so you can earn lots of money and pay your taxes. They preach that only money will make you rich and happy. But this is a false doctrine, a false gospel. I thought love of money is the root of all evil.

What about joy? What about contentment? What about being satisfied with doing a job well done? What about not joining the rat race, clawing your way to the top? Wouldn't you be lonely up there all by yourself? What good is it to own the world but be lonely and miserable because you spent all your time working rather than living? What about stopping to smell the roses?

How about investing your time in building relationships? We were created in the image of a triune God. We were created to have fellowship with Him. We were created to have a relationship with Him. Our cheif aim is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. As long as we are pursuing living an holy life before the face of God, do we really have to struggle to the top of man's ladder?

Sorry to be so long winded, I could go on and on but I know you have children to tend to, husbands to take care of, gardens to weed, music to listen to, life to enjoy. I am so glad I found Charlotte Mason's teachings. As I say over and over again, she was right !

"Our aim in Education is to give a Full Life."
~Charlotte Mason ( Volume 3, page 170)

2 comments:

  1. Every day when my son gets home from school, the first thing I ask him is whether or not he has any good stories or did he learn interesting. It is so tempting to jump to, "Do you have any tests or quizzes tomorrow?" I never want him to think grades are more important than ideas and relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, Tammy. Since we have opposite situations, I find myself having to deprogram my daughter from the quiz, test, grade, achievement mentality. I am trying to help her understand forming a relationship with her knowledge, discovering new ideas and being content to hover over a topic of interest or struggle with it in order to grasp it fully.
    I know your son will do great because you've instilled in him the importance of those things and the difference between getting a high score on a test and having a false sense of security that information is true knowledge.

    Blessings sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete