Thursday, March 18, 2010

In His Element-Day 4

Lots of changes in preschool recently.  Last week I said farewell to three of my TUES/THURS regulars. One moved to Florida; two brothers moved back to Oregon.  Parting mid-year is always sad for me. 

Welcoming new students mid-year is always a challenge.  Making new friends and learning new routines is as challenging for the children as getting to know a new student, teaching a them a new routine and getting them up to speed on our class habits is for the teacher.

Two weeks ago, I added a new student and another teacher added 2 more new students. Due to absences today, we had to combine my class with hers.  

By mid-year, my class is well-aqauinted with our Nature hikes, often bypassing the playgound going straight to the woods. 

As a mini-experiment, I took the two new students from the other class on their first Nature hike. I wanted to test their reaction.  Reticence, we would just walk in the grass.  But, no reticence so, we ventured inside the woods a few feet. 

They seemed to be in their element.  Intially, they held my hand, then walked independently at a safe distance from me. 

Curiously, they felt the tree trunks, stopped to look at a wild fern, picked up sticks and found a rock that was cold to the touch.  

They laughed and clapped when we "found our way out" then, ran to tell the other children and invite them BACK into the woods. 

They happily and quickly followed. Soon, all were climbing upon fallen trees pretending to be squirrels and spiders and birds. 

Pure Joy!

1 comment:

  1. What a WONDERFUL preschool where you can ENJOY nature! This is what I call No Child Left Behind! Love it!

    ReplyDelete