Tuesday, December 14, 2010

And Can It Be (Amazing Love)

Still reading in Matthew.  Currently,  The Arrest, the Trial, The Death and Burial of Jesus. I read it slowly.

It may seem strange to be reading about the Crucifixtion of our Lord as we are in the midst of the Advent Season. I know it is not by accident that I find myself reading of the Death of Jesus at the same time we are celebrating His Birth.

The two cannot, must not be separated.

That sweet, helpless Babe, born in a stable, wrapped in scraps of cloth, lain in a feeding trough must be juxtaposed with the brutal, cruel torture that our Savior suffered upon that tree.

The whole world embraces the one event. Idealizing it, imploring us to have Christmas Spirit, Joy of the Holidays and Peace on Earth. That is all well and good as long as that cute little baby with a ring of light around his sleeping face stays in that feeding trough.

The other event, the culmination, the fulfillment of God's promise to send a Rescuer; to once and for all settle the score; to wipe the account books clean, to bring hope to a lost, darkened world tends not to stir up such warm and fuzzy feelings. Rather this event, which accomplished and satisfied God's wrath tends to stir up disdain at best and rage at worst. This is evident to me even by my aversion to read the Scriptural account. This event points the proverbial finger in my face and says: You are the reason I did this!
This Advent season, reading about the Death of Christ, I see it as a glorious event which brings the True Peace on Earth, Never-Ending Joy and Love Everlasting. I am also seeing that while the Birth of Christ is cause to celebrate ( and believe me I am!) I am more aware that this precious Baby is my King who humbled Himself for me. This newborn Babe is the One who would trade His righteousness for my filthy sin. This helpless infant is the One Who would die for me. Oh, How Can it Be?

So, I celebrate because God is Faithful!
(Please pause my Playlist before viewing)

3 comments:

  1. What a great reminder for the season. I always love singing Wonderful Merciful Saviour during this time. I know it's not Christmas but it seems to fit...for me anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this. "The two must not be separated." I love it! I had never thought about the fact that the world is okay with Jesus as long as he stays the sweet baby in the manger. Yet this is not the Jesus of the gospel. Thank you so much. I am trying to figure out a way to incorporate this with my kiddos for "Expecting Christmas."

    ReplyDelete