Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Still Slowing Down

Wendell Berry Discusses Life

Been contemplating slow living for a while now, the agrarian life in particular at the moment. Almost a time gone by but for the few who persevere to bring the bounty of the earth to our local markets.  This weekend I spent lots of time with some of the best people I know, helping shuck and freeze countless ears of corn to put up for winter. 

Been learning more about making my own household products this year. Good results on every account.

What would the home look like if we did more of this? If we lived a slower life, a more agarian life. How would we spend our time? I think it would be very different.

The older I get the more I love being a wife and mother, a job of the highest improtance. Feminism would say otherwise. Kudos to Piper for his answer to the question, "Is it OK for Moms to Work Outside of the Home?"

Wendell Berry was introduced to me by way of Hannah Coulter, by my sweet friend, Bonnie. I hope she enjoys this video of this author with whom she corresponds!  Right around minute 19, Bonnie, Wendell speaks about a topic we've been contemplating this year.

2 comments:

  1. "what really interests me is the possibility that we humans can make sense."
    LOVE him.

    I'm with you on the slowing down concept. For me it has been a process of narrowing my focus and appreciating God's timing with everything: my children's spiritual development, my garden, my own sanctification...I could go on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to listen to that again to see what you mean? I've listened to this video before. Thanks also for the FARM right up the road. I'm a Matthew's Farmer's Market goer.

    ReplyDelete