Wednesday, August 17, 2011

GAPS Intro Day 2 & 3

While researching the GAPS diet, I noticed that most people experience a die-off reaction ranging from mild to severe. According to the GAPS website:

DETOXING, DIE-OFF, & OTHER SYMPTOMS
What are "die-off" symptoms?
As you introduce a probiotic into the digestive system, the pathogenic bacteria, viruses and fungi there will be dying, which releases more toxins. This increase in toxicity may produce a so-called "die-off" reaction, when you may feel more tired or generally "off color". It is a temporary reaction and usually lasts from a few days to a few weeks in different people....If you get a severe reaction, cut the daily dose
[of probiotics, my note] down to the previous level and settle on it. Then carry on increasing the dose.

I've been anticipating not feeling well as the toxins die and release into my system before being eliminated. So far, my symptoms have been quite mild. 

Day 2 was pretty good. Only die-off symptom to speak of is fatigue.


Meals consisted of shredded boiled chicken, broth & leftover butternut squash soup, steamed acorn squash and onion leek soup.

Between noon and 2 o'clock I felt extremely tired and a little weak. I was having a hard time keeping my eyes open. Thankfully, I was able to get off work early. Came home and ate some more steamed acorn squash and relaxed for a bit which helped.


Day 3 has been good also. Again, I had fatigue after lunch. Rested my eyes for a few minutes and was fine.

Meals today were boiled burgers with a cauliflower & carrot "gravy",  cauliflower boiled in stock, mashed carrots and onion leek soup. 


 Appetite is fair. Eating about every three hours since the food is so easily digested. Getting tired of all the boiled foods. Ready for something chewy.  Had cravings for my after dinner chocolate chip cookies (sugar) twice. Cured (suppressed) by drinking some mint tea with a drop of honey. 

Haven't managed a recommended Detox Bath yet. I know it will help with detoxing, but symptoms seem so mild, I've neglected that part. Maybe I can work it in tonight.

Since we're doing so well, we'll do one more day on Stage 1. If all goes well tomorrow, we'll be skipping to Stage 2. Then we can start having eggs and fermented veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment