Saturday, September 24, 2011

Adventures in my Kitchen: Rendering Lard

Last weekend we took the annual "Know Your Farms" Tour.
 
We first went to Barbee Farms, a sixth generation farm family. They grow and harvest a wide variety of vegetables year round. We took a farm-wide hayride and learned that 98% of their business is from local consumers. After the tour we stopped in their on-farm market stand where we enjoyed some homemade ice cream. I also bought some arugula and kale. They're real nice folks and I plan to make good use of their year-round farm store!
 
Next we returned to a favorite from our tour last year, T&D Farms. As owner, Todd Maudlin explained on our hayride of his property, they grow grass-fed beef, pastured pork, chicken and free-range eggs. The cattle are a beautiful cross between Charolais and Limousine breed. The meat is lean and tasty, but what I appreciated most was that the cows are grass-fed AND finished. No grain or soy is given to these cows! After our hayride, we stopped off at their farm stand to buy some products. I was so excited to come away with nitrate-free bacon, pork fat and chicken feet {That's a post for another day!}.
 
I purchased about 2 pounds of pork fat for $1.50 a pound!! My first attempt at rendering I came away with 3 cups of lard and a plate full of cracklings, or as my children corrected me, in the South we say cracklins! I salted them and we ate them. My son loved them and said they tasted just like the ones from the gas station! I think that was a compliment. 
Cracklins, A Southern Delicacy

Golden Brown Goodness
Lard cooling in jars.
Because it has a higher smoke-point, I'll be using it instead of butter for my cooking, baking and frying. Can't wait for some lard-fried french fries. {Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my mouth!}
 
Find out why I would do such a thing here:  How to Render Lard | Nourished Kitchen.
 
Until my next adventure in the kitchen, be sure to Eat Your Fat!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment