Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Happy Tummy!

Last weekend I toured some local farms with my Mother-in Love, Grandmother-in-Love and Niece. First we went to the Elma C. Lomax Incubator Farm where they raise not so much produce, but rather, farmers. Great educational opportunity and easy way to test the waters (or dirt) of "getting back to the land" without taking a blind leap!

Next, we travelled up the road a bit to T and D Charolais Farms. This was more of a ranch with grass-fed cattle from start to finish, free-range chickens and pasture raised pigs. Sampled a bit (or two) of the beef. What I thought must be Filet Mignon because of the velvety texture was actually flank steak! FLANK STEAK!

Needless to say, I had to buy some beef. I chose a bone-in Chuck Roast.

I prepared using the Pioneer Women's Perfect Pot Roast recipe, which despite the unofficial designation as perfect, IS perfect!! The only modification I made was to the roast it in the Crock-Pot. It was deliciously tender, full of flavor and melted in our mouths! 

3 comments:

  1. Now I'm craving pot roast & mashed potatoes! Yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! sounds like lots of fun..... i am wondering where our pot roast dinner invitation went???? =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo. My sister did the ones around Chapel Hill a few years ago and that comes up in conversation...now and again.

    ReplyDelete